A little reading

Lately, I have been trying to read more again.

Life has been quite full, and I am still not really sure when I will actually start my PhD. I have been thinking about it for quite some time, but with work and other commitments, I don't think I am at the point where I can just say, “Okay, let's start.”

So for now, I am doing the next best thing: reading.

One of the books I recently picked up is The Digitalization of Public Diplomacy by Ilan Manor (2019).

I chose it partly because public diplomacy and digital communication are areas I have been interested in for quite a while. But reading it now feels slightly different because I am also working in this field. Some of the things I read about are no longer just academic concepts to me. I can actually see parts of them in my everyday work.

One thing I found interesting is that digital diplomacy is not simply about diplomats using Instagram, X, websites or other social media platforms

It sounds obvious, but I think we sometimes reduce “digital diplomacy” to exactly that putting diplomatic communication online.

Manor's discussion made me think about how digitalization actually changes the way diplomacy is done. The way institutions communicate, the way diplomats interact with people, how quickly information moves, how audiences respond, and even how diplomats themselves are expected to present themselves.

And I can relate to that.

A social media post might look like a very small thing. But as simple as posting about an event can involve quite a lot of thinking. What should be said? What should not be said? Which photograph represents the event properly? Who is the audience? Is the tone appropriate? Does it reflect the institution?

It made me realise that communication in diplomacy is rarely just communication.

There is always something behind it.

I also found myself thinking about my own academic interests while reading. My background is in communication, but over the years I have become increasingly interested in the connection between communication, digital media and public diplomacy - particularly how countries communicate their identity and image to international audiences.

Which, of course, brings me back to the PhD question.

I still don't know when I will start.

Maybe next year. Maybe later. I honestly don't know.

There are still many things I need to sort out, and I don't want to rush into a PhD simply because I feel that I should be doing one.

But I also don't want to completely stop learning just because I haven't started yet.

So maybe this is my little middle ground for now: working, living, figuring things out, and reading whenever I can.

No big academic plan yet.

Just one book at a time.

Comments

Popular Posts